Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Planting onions..remove skins or not?

I'm planting a few yellow onions in the garden that have sprouted before I had a chance to eat them...actually, I noticed the sprouts %26amp; decided to let them go %26amp; see how tall theyd get before they died or wilted...some are actually about 7-8 inches tall! (I know I won't get the best quality onion out of it, but I'm fine with the flowers %26amp; they'll deter pests) My questions are (2), should I remove/leave on any of the peeling %26amp; dry skins prior to planting, or will doing either option make any difference?



Also, How deep should I plant the actual onion bulb in comparison to the sprouts? thanks!

Planting onions..remove skins or not?
You don't have to remove the outer dry skin, I wouldn't, it will help deter fungus growth.



You can use the sprouting green parts as "green onions" or scallions-very good in cream cheese on bagel.



Plant the top of the onion bulb about 2 inches below the surface of the dirt,pack the dirt down a bit and water to settle the soil.



Added: plant in full sun. And if you do harvest some of the sprouts for cooking, harvest a few from each plant and more will sprout back up. I usually snip them off from the sides



Happy Onioning


No comments:

Post a Comment